Friday, June 29, 2018

Open letter- 8 (Moon)




Dear Moon,


  To be honest, I did not plan to write to you. I did not seem to have enough words for a calm, cool, beautiful and matured image like yours. They say ‘Drama creates talks’, hence it was not easy to get any juicy matters for your no-nonsensical aura. You possess the calmest look with a beautiful essence, leaving me dumbstruck for lack of any good words. But ever since you captured my attention two days back on the eve of full moon, I was tempted to say something. And when you posed for my camera, I realized it was the undoubted signal from universeTo a lovely natural satellite who shines bright and strong, there are so many aspects of your personality that attract me.

  At the start, you are ‘the single most romantic hero’ in the galaxy. I am curious to know why and how you earned this title, but there is something romantic about your presence. You seem to bring out the best kind of dreamy words from writers, poets and lyricists, while they symbolize your cute looks and lovely essence. And when these wonderful lyrics are wrapped into melodious tunes, the effect is beyond understanding. You manage to inspire and motivate us to fall in love with the breathtaking elements of nature. Not everyone needs to be strict and stern like your scorching cousin ‘Sun’. I hope he doesn’t read this letter to add to the existing stock of intense heat.

  But, if we leave the humor aside, you are like the mellowed down version of your stronger cousin. While he is strong, powerful, hot, angry and fierce, you are just the opposite. Appearing during the cold nights, you are so calm, silent, cool and happy. When the darkness of night seems to dull our spirits, your cool look makes us happy, hopeful and loving. We look forward to yet another day of struggle after a quiet night of sleep. I admire the perfect co-ordination between sun and you. While one brother forces people to wake up and get to work as long as he is around, the other one puts everyone to sleep. Must say, you and your brother handle two shifts perfectly. This coordinated play has turned into a perfect clock system for us. Both of you come and go, while we stick to our routine down here.

  I remember trying hard to learn about your cycle theoretically and observing you every single day to make it practical. With a short cycle, you enjoy turning brighter and dimmer with a strict schedule. How do you manage to stick to your fixed agenda every single day of the year without any laziness is beyond my understanding? Aren’t you bored of the same behavior every now and then without any variation the way you feel like? Well, I may never get any answer to this, but the least I can do it follow it as much as possible. If I go to think about it in my own practical life, it points to ‘obeying time’. Every other factor will come and go, but the value of time can never change. If we obey time, everything else will be taken care of.

  I have heard you cause high tides and low tides in the ocean. Also, your pull is strong enough to create huge waves in the sea. How do you manage to do it from up above is another factor beyond my understanding? But, as a tiny particle on this planet all I can say is your coordination with different elements of nature makes it interesting and worth learning. I love your different shapes in the sky. Though there are many technical terms for each shape, I enjoy layman cute terms such as ring and bulb!

   Though you may not like to hear this, I enjoy your absence too. No moon days are often linked to darker superstitions and unlucky times, but your absence offers a clear black background to observe sparkling stars. It is absolutely acceptable that you take such timely off since it gives a platform to tiny stars too. They can enjoy their short term of fame and attention, before you return back once again.

   Your full-time job days are amazing too. You seem to switch on a bright bulb in the darker skies. Looking at your moonlight during cooler nights is nothing less than pure magic. It has the power to transport us to happier times and nostalgic memories. No wonder you inspire us to sing songs as we look at your calm face. Though you are silent always, we tend to draw a lot of inspiration from your silence too. We do not need any two-way conversation with you. We can simply look at you and continue our one-sided talks, while assuming your love, smiles and blessings come our way.

  Do you have some secret language of communication with little kids? Why do all these cute innocent minds treat you as their lovely uncle and wave back to you, every now and then? I am sure you speak to their innocent and clear hearts that can’t stop smiling and enjoying your presence. Thousands of miles away from his home country, when my nephew recognized you in a new atmosphere, it made him feel much safer and familiar. It was as if his best uncle traveled to be with him. And it’s not just plain recognition, it was his bright-lit smile and excitement that felt out of the world.

 You have a fun side to your character too. Why do you love to play hide and seek with clouds only on those specific days when you know everyone is waiting for you? You make yourself loved and longed for while enjoying the undivided attention. As we hope to catch your glimpse after a long day of fasting, you seem to enjoy all our prayers and requests, royally! But, nonetheless it teaches a lesson in disguise- be unique and indispensable such that people long for your attention and presence.

  I must stop writing now to end this long letter. I never realized I had so much to talk to you and your friends, before starting this series. For a socially awkward character like me, this is more than I can handle or digest. Or maybe this is the only means of communication that can keep me going.

 Till we meet again - while you switch on your bulb, switch if off, shrink to a ring or show 50-75% of your beautiful looks.




Yours lovingly,
A cute niece back then, an un-cute admirer now!




1 comment: