Dear Bird family,
‘Nothing stops you,
Nothing pulls you back,
When you decide to leave the land,
it is time to touch
the sky!'
I am amazed by how these words are flowing in
a poetic manner because I am never able to write one if even I wished too. May
be this is due to your influence and thoughts in mind. As symbols of free will
and independence, you represent the power of being yourself. While flying in
the limitless sky, you are not bounded by the shackles of physical boundaries.
Nothing stands between you and your desire to touch the sky, discarding any
borders as insignificant lines on earth.
It is exciting to look at your style
of life- one moment you are grounded on branches of trees and other moment you
are gliding or flying in the sky. How does it feel to balance such contrasting responsibilities?
Is it fun to be able to just leave the land when bored of its limitations to
explore the limitless sky, only to return back when the stomach demands food?
Till I started
penning these open letters, I never realized there is so much to convey to each
one of you in nature. And once I started with it, there was no turning back. As
our friends on this planet, you truly make our life complete and full of
happiness. Though I agree our obsession with development and efforts to conquer
everything on earth drives us towards inhuman approaches, we are making
amendments, while hoping it is not too late.
You represent the
beauty of exploring everything life has to offer. While flying is just one usual
action among your other tasks in life, we cannot help but admire it as an
exceptional feature of power. And since we cannot do it ourselves, we love to
stare at your flight and wish we could do the same.
As a child when I saw you
leaving the earth to disappear into the sky, I was jealous, surprised, amazed
and happy all at once. I cannot remember the number of times I must have
requested God to let me fly once, especially from a boring class or away from tons of homework. If I could escape from it on my free will, life would have be
so wonderful! Though we have made brilliant efforts of copying your style and
flying inside an aircraft for several miles around the globe, it is not the
same as flying individually like you do.
You have so many
diverse members in your family. From tiny cute ones to powerful big ones, your
family is huge and interesting to know about.
While each one of us wish for
this ability to fly, we have even expressed the desire through songs, paintings
and books. Your feature of flying above the world has filled us with
inspiration to pen/paint/sing those desires in wonderful art forms. It is true
we cannot fly, but the least we can do is engage ourselves in those amazing
thoughts through the power of our creative imagination. After all imagination takes
us places, then why not fly with it if we can?
How does it feel to
observe us from up above? I am always curious to know, do you laugh at our
stupidity of overcrowding the land or admire our development to transform the earth?
It will be beneficial to acknowledge your opinions to gain a wider perspective.
Reports about death of birds caught inside wind mill or within the string of
kites should make us understand, but we choose to escalate the problem before
paying any heed. This dominance of our character should end before we are left
alone on a barren land. We are making efforts to prevent these disasters as
much as possible, but I always believe repairing something after the damage is
done is pointless when we could have clearly avoided it in the first place. It does not mean our efforts are incorrect, it only points to the need to find harmless alternatives.
Let me take the
letter to a lighter note before you fly away in boredom. Your wings inspire us
to explore our own talents hidden within. When a strong desire to touch the sky
overpowers any trace amounts of self-doubt, anxiety, lack of confidence and
failure, everything appears possible. You give us company on land with your
voices and actions. And I am sure you understand baby talks because small children
are so excited to see you, while conversing with you in some unknown language. No
wonder they create pet names for you, while clapping and rejoicing in your
presence. Though almost everybody loved the game of ‘Angry Birds’, I did not
like it as much. Somehow the thought of picturing you as angry and agitated did
not go well with my system.
Among all your
members, sparrow was and will always be my favorite. She is too cute to ignore
or dislike. I am sorry picking up a favorite sounds rude and unfair, but she is
my first friend since childhood.
Often, while caught in the madness and fast
pace of our daily routine, we end up ignoring or not acknowledging your
presence. But, the moment you choose to abandon some place for a while, we miss
you a lot. You may not believe it but we do notice your absence instantly. Also,
we enjoy spotting various kind of birds different from the ones we see in our
neighborhood, while traveling someplace else. After all, ‘bird-watching’ is a
popular adventure too. Your name is also mentioned quite often when someone asks
us to take a ‘bird’s eye view’. If refers to taking a whole view rather than
conserving our opinions over a limited notion.
Fly high, inspire
us, love us and give us company, we love your presence in order to stay motivated and
confident.
Till we meet again - while you fly and I try to fly!
Yours lovingly,
A tiny particle on earth


No comments:
Post a Comment