Dear Sun,
Before starting this
letter, I must admit I am quite scared to write to you. Just in case if I end
up writing something that offends you or does not go well with your thought
process, you may easily punish me with more heat in my direction. And looking
at the chaos you create during summer months, I cannot take a chance. Every now
and then, we hear extreme weather reports throwing light over your intense heat
and powerful anger. Why don’t you take a chill pill by not being so tense all
the time? Or is it impossible to cool down considering the burden of
responsibility on your shoulders?
Whatever may be the
reason, I must agree you are extremely important in our lives. Everything
revolves around you, making you the rightful head of the planetary system. No
wonder you make all the planets dance around, giving them light and heat as
they pass by. Our relationship with you falls under the category of ‘love-hate’.
Something we share with our siblings and spouse. We need you a lot and it is
impossible to imagine a day without you, but at the same time, we hate you so
many times during irritating moments of the fierce noon. Your presence adds energy
and enthusiasm because obviously sunny days are much better than gloomy, cloudy
ones.
I must confess, growing up I always disliked
your discipline. What is with your love for punctuality? Everywhere we went- be
it school or home, our elders cited you as the ultimate example of discipline. “Be
like the sun who rises and sets every day without any excuses for vacation or
holiday.”, “Just as the sun arrives at the same time every day to perform his
actions, you must too”. That is all we
have heard when our elders praised you for your sincerity. I secretly disliked your
routine, wondering why couldn’t you just sleep and not irritate us on your own
day at least. After all, one ‘Sunday’ was designed for your own enjoyment, yet
you would report back on duty! It is so unfair to wake up as soon as you
arrive, not allowing us to handle our own schedule. But to think about it maturely,
it’s good we follow you otherwise all our days would end up being like weekends,
where we don’t really care about your arrival time.
On a serious front,
it is simply impossible to imagine a world without you. I remember framing essays
in school, where we assumed you wouldn’t rise for a day. Though it sounded
awesome and interesting at first, it was soon replaced by the dangers of your
absence. You control our life on earth. You are the primary source of our
existence, hence it would be an understatement to even talk about your significance.
“You are hence we are”. I cannot think of any other way to say it.
It must be taxing
to work all day. And though we assume you are sleeping peacefully at night just
like us, you travel someplace else performing your night shift or day shift (It
is so confusing!) Throwing light all over the earth at different times is such
a demanding task which you seem to enjoy. But, this letter is not to discuss
about your work, so let’s talk about how much we love you!
We truly miss you
during monsoon and winters. A day does not seem fulfilling unless we see you.
Though we may work hard and carry out our daily routine as usual, it does not
feel the same in your absence. On the other hand, even if we just waste a good
day in your presence, it seems oddly fulfilling! Not working at all, while you
shine over our heads all the time is a wonderful holiday. Long cold days or
pouring rainy days are good for a short while, but we start missing you almost
immediately.
Be it little kids or
senior citizens, I am sure everyone prefers sunny days over dull ones. I like
your style of not allowing anyone to look at you directly all day. Except
sunrise and sunsets, you don’t entertain admirers who would otherwise love to observe
you. You save your performance for a short while, offering quick guest appearances
for few minutes. Though I love sunrises, I admire your sunsets more. Something to
do with having more time to halt and appreciate your looks. What do you expect
us to do after a good night sleep? Hurrying around with our early routine
leaves us little time to admire your rising scenes (I just hope all the elders especially
my parents skip through these lines, I cannot afford repeat telecast of
childhood discipline lessons!)
We cannot imagine
how hot your surface must be. Isn’t it difficult to manage such high heat? But all
I feel is you seem to be enjoying it. Please don’t get warmer than what you are.
With a true desire of saving the environment and doing our bit for the nature,
we have started harnessing your energy to fuel our homes, offices and other
facilities. Your energy will turn into the next best source for electricity,
but unless the costs come down, it seems like a long dream further long away.
Why do you
discriminate among different regions of the earth? Why do some of us get more
heat or why do some experience more darkness for few days of the year? Though I
am aware there is lot of logic, geography, science and physics involved in it,
it seems quite unfair overall. You appear as the strict head of the family. And
you share strong relations with all the other members of your clan.
From
creating vapors for clouds to hiding behind mountains and oceans for
picturesque rising and setting, from alternating shifts with your only other colleague
moon to resting inside the big living home of the sky, you have so many friends
around. And you have made your presence extremely important for plants. Though
they do all the hard work of preparing food, you just add little essential
spice in their photosynthesis (Now I know the source of my husband’s ideas)
Whenever I see that
you and raindrops have arrived together, I eagerly wait for a wonderful
rainbow. The magic of seven colors forming a hair band for the sky is just
beyond words.
When you play hide and seek with the moon to
create epic eclipses, it is another interesting episode. Keeping the physics, safety,
sentiments and popular age-old beliefs aside, the phenomenon is exciting in its
own way.
There is so much to
write to you, but I must stop somewhere. Before you get annoyed and throw more heat
in anger, let me end the letter soon.
Till we meet again
where you wake me up as usual, stay cool and happy if possible.
Yours lovingly,
A complicated lover/hater/admirer/scared human/lover again!


No comments:
Post a Comment