Dear Mountains,
My initial plan was
to hand-deliver this letter to you, but you have raised the bar so high
(literally), it was impossible for me to climb your highest peak. And though I
do practice hiking over trails (read: walking slowly for not more than half a
mile!), my kinder garden level of education on mountaineering will never match
the doctorate scale requirement of ascending your peaks, so what better way than
to use my blog to talk to you?
I am almost sure that you keep following me everywhere, how else can you explain the omnipresent presence of your beautiful sight just few minutes from my home - be it my childhood den or the one I reside in now? Watching you from a distance, while admiring your mighty strength is just too amazing to write it down into words. I love the way you spread over a wide range, while claiming your territory both horizontally and vertically. You are one proud piece of nature who depicts the power that lies within.
I am almost sure that you keep following me everywhere, how else can you explain the omnipresent presence of your beautiful sight just few minutes from my home - be it my childhood den or the one I reside in now? Watching you from a distance, while admiring your mighty strength is just too amazing to write it down into words. I love the way you spread over a wide range, while claiming your territory both horizontally and vertically. You are one proud piece of nature who depicts the power that lies within.
I don’t know why but
you remind me of a stern, yet friendly principal of school. You appear kind,
polite and nice, but still it is impossible to shake hands with you or be your
friend. The fun lies in admiring you from a distance, as the sight painted by
your existence is totally beautiful in every way. I believe each one of us
follow the same path of friendship with you. It starts in kinder garden classes
where we draw two inverted V alphabets with a rising sun at the center,
followed by a nice house in front (I hope that it does turn true someday). Till
then, this proud accomplishment by our little hands is all we know about you.
Slowly, as you enter our lives through Geography lessons, we realize you are
not just all beauty, but a lot of substance too. There is loads of complicated
sciences in your formation, function, types and existence in the natural cycle
of environment.
All of this is then
transformed into absolute love as you spread the magic everywhere. The best
part of your presence is you are everywhere around the globe. You help
eliminate any feelings of homesickness because you are just the same, like back
home! I agree your look is different in different regions as you prefer to
dress in local attires specific to the place, yet your aura and feel is the
same.
When I look at your
strong power in long ranges and high peaks, I think about the power that is
within each one of us. You inspire me to believe in myself. All we need and
wish to achieve in life does not depend on external factors. It is all within our
core, mind and internal system that needs to be attended to.
I admire your strength to stand tall and stern. After all, it is impossible to shake you or move you even by a bit. It instills the significance of a firm stand. Often, my fellow friends and I surrender ourselves to inner doubts, worries, tensions and fear, making us unstable quite easily. We fail to stand strong over our beliefs and inner faith. It takes several self-help books and philosophical lectures to learn what you seem to be knowing right from your birth- ‘Stay strong and true to your strength. Believe in yourself and nothing else matters’.
I admire your strength to stand tall and stern. After all, it is impossible to shake you or move you even by a bit. It instills the significance of a firm stand. Often, my fellow friends and I surrender ourselves to inner doubts, worries, tensions and fear, making us unstable quite easily. We fail to stand strong over our beliefs and inner faith. It takes several self-help books and philosophical lectures to learn what you seem to be knowing right from your birth- ‘Stay strong and true to your strength. Believe in yourself and nothing else matters’.
I love your
participation in shows directed by Mother Nature. You play the part of a
handsome hero quite amazingly, as you succeed in capturing our attention quite
often. And your interaction with other participants turns it into a wonderful
performance, stressing over the importance of coordination and cooperation. Whether
it is your close relationship with trees and plants or seasonal interaction
with rains, whether it is your motherly love for grazing animals or bypassing
lanes for waterfalls, you play it so well.
Another praiseworthy
factor is your committed relationship with our beloved sun. How do you hide it
away every evening to bring him back in the morning? The sight of rising sun from
behind your strong body and setting back again in the evening is so well coordinated.
It teaches us a lot about commitment and punctuality. Follow same routine day
in and day out, yet do it so beautifully!
But, don’t you get
bored of standing at one place? I cannot imagine someone can enjoy their fixed
spot for years after years, yet stand smiling at the end of it all. I know
there is so much that you do every day like talking to birds, playing with
plants, teasing the passing winds and covering the bold shining sun, yet it
takes a lot more to stay committed and stable. No wonder, every time my mind
wanders away into some alien planet that I seem to know nothing about, I pull
it back and bring it in front of you. I force my mind to look at your calm,
steady, strong looks and learn a thing or two. Everything will happen at its
own pace, hence all I am supposed to do is trust the process.
We have made several
changes of cutting through you to create major roadways. Though it aches our heart
while troubling you, there seems to be no good solution to this long running battle
of development versus nature. And because it is impossible to scale every
possible mountain or access the ones far, wide and remote, we cannot trouble you
more than just a little poke to your stomach.
I feel I should be
honest with you. During vacations, I always preferred beaches and oceans over
you, hence if the choice was between a hill station and a beach town, I seemed
to pick the latter. But, you always proved me wrong because if the choice was
not in my hands, the experience of visiting beautiful valleys and long mountain
ranges would prove to be absolutely breathtaking. I love your hide and seek
game with clouds. The sight of passing clouds producing mist and fog is so out
of the world. Since I love you as well as the oceans, wouldn’t it wonderful to
be at a destination that has it both? They say Hawaii has the best combination of
both waves and mountains, maybe it’s time to head there! (read: one among the many
attempts to convince dearest ‘husband’ for this destination)
You are the ideal
symbol of the fact ‘Strong can be beautiful too’. Your strong ranges and high
peaks dismiss any popular belief that strength has no connection with beauty. I
have never seen any other stronger and picturesque element of nature that
combines these two into one.
Also, thank you for
holding strong winds and storms for us. I have heard you withstand a lot to
protect us from the punishments of uncertain weather. We promise to contribute
more from our end for a greener environment. I like it when you are green and
happy, hence please do not wear the boring brown outfit that the sun dries and tries on you. It does not suit you at all.
Till we meet again
through our regular long distance sights, take care of yourself and all your
friends up and below
Yours lovingly,
A star-struck fan and long distance admirer


thoughtful very interesting articles
ReplyDeleteThank yo! Glad you liked it. Happy Reading!
Delete