Dear Plants,
Ever since you have
decided to spread your cheer in our household, I was tempted to write something
to you. While I was never famous as a gardener or plant care-taker in my house
since childhood, I am surprised by your desire to grow in our green space now and
that too under my charge. And as you have helped me earn the title of ‘positive
person’ (well, in the eyes of my husband), I thought it was time to thank you
through a short little letter. But on an extremely serious note, I don’t think
I can thank you enough for all the wonders you do for us. This letter will be
like a drop in the ocean, since no amount of gratitude or appreciation can
match your big deeds.
My first ever
understanding about you dates back to our primary school classes on environmental
science. While seated in a bench trying hard to learn and understand, I remember
how my teacher explained about the presence of three living forms on earth. We humans
and animals made the two obvious members in the list, but I was completely
surprised to know that you are living too! Till then all I knew about you was
due to stories, poems and nursery rhymes where you spread some laughter through
your green leaves. I always saw you around in my neighborhood, but I did not
know you were living just like me. Your cool shade, big green leaves, colorful
flowers, tasty fruits and compulsory vegetables in tiffin gave me some idea,
but only when I realized you are also a living being, I looked at you with a
much different view.
Slowly and
steadily, you made a space in my heart and my science books. Thanks to you I
was forced to learn about the phenomenal process of photosynthesis (but let me
save such complaints for later, this letter is for appreciation alone). As a sound
educated adult, I can explain that scientific procedure to any kid or student
today, but I am still amazed by how do you actually do it? How can you prepare
food for all of us? How can you sacrifice your existence for our benefit? What drives
you to just give and give? And how can your mission involve spreading warmth, calmness,
happiness and natural beauty around? Well, it is impossible to get answers to any
of these questions, yet I will never stop pondering.
You are an integral
part of nature. It is impossible to imagine a barren world without your smiles,
amazing looks and humble presence. We have grown up listening to several
stories that explain your significance in our lives. In fact, we were always
taught about values such as selflessness, hard work, perseverance and
dedication with you as the central hero. I am sure you must be smiling with
pride in your heart every time someone said “Stand strong as a tree and keep
giving like him”. But, that is so relevant and true in today’s world.
I cannot
claim to understand every bit of your philosophy, but one thing is sure you are
a true giver. As you sway in the wind and play with other elements of nature, I
enjoy that calm expression on your face. How do you manage to stay so? How can
you bear with all the uncertainties surrounding you, yet stand strong as
always? And if you are a tiny shrub, how can you withstand strong forces
against you, yet smile at the next blow of wind?
There is something
soothing about your appearance. Whenever I admire the beauty of your parent
nature, I am amazed by your cool looks. Whether you spread a green carpet over
mountains or lay still on a lawn, whether you align the roads with a thick
canopy or simply decorate our neighborhoods, whether you sit in our balcony and
windows in neat little pots or create monopoly in thick forests, you are simply
amazing at everything. Through this letter, I just want to thank you for all
the love, affection, kindness and happiness that you give to my mind. Though
whatever we do for you will never match the greatness of your deeds, I can only
express few words to show my love.
It is impossible to
part ways from you. I know our greed for construction with focus over accommodation of rising population is pushing us towards extreme measures, but
our environmental conscious minds is guiding us towards good things too. While
I agree cutting you at one spot and planting you somewhere else is like building
charitable societies to compensate for some ill acts (resemblance to any
living person is purely coincidental); I can only hope we quit such
measures as soon as possible. And thanks to the growing threat of global
warming, we are on the track to save the planet back again. Unknowingly, we
assumed that Mother Nature favors us humans as her favorite children, but that
is so wrong at all levels. As our dear siblings, we must love you plants and
animals the way we love our own family members.
Though I am penning
this letter myself, I am sure many of my people will also feel the same for
you. If there is one living thing on this planet who can be a strong advocate of the
thought ‘Change is the only constant’, it has to be you and you alone. How do
you change colors with every passing season? How do you shred all your leaves
in autumn, only to hibernate away in winter and return back once again in spring
is truly a secret beyond my understanding? I must say you are quite
fashion-conscious. Your dresses from refreshing orange to bright reds, cool
greens to energetic yellows are interesting for our eyesight.
You teach me the
power of silence and actions. You remind me that let actions speak for
themselves. It is impossible to keep defending, talking, arguing, fighting and
wining others with words. If we engage in doing any of this, where is the time and
energy for doing productive tasks that matter? It reminds me about the need to
stay calm and dedicated in my work.
If there is someone who
can teach us the value of team work, it has to be you again. Every part of your
system handles their designated tasks with such sincerity, it can never get
better than this. With firm roots who absorb nutrients to stems that carry it around,
from pretty leaves who prepare food to colorful flowers that interact with
others for further proliferation, from juicy fruits that aid in reproduction to
strong branches in case of trees, everything is so well coordinated.
Well, it is
impossible to end this letter. There is so much to say but I must stop
somewhere. I must let you get back to your routine of spreading happiness,
fresh air and smiles like you always do.
I am not sure if I
have said it enough, but thank you once again. Thank you for making us feel
alive, Thank you for decorating this planet with your humble freshness. Thank
you for reminding us to stay humble and human, and thank you for the beautiful
sight you create for us. Though I have learnt so much from you, if I have to
name just one thing, it has to be ‘Stay happy, stay in the now, stay strong and
be there for others’.
Till, we meet again
like we always do!
Yours lovingly,
A human admirer of your super green powers


No comments:
Post a Comment