Gone are the days of writing long beautiful letters. As the
only means of communication, letters were all about honest words, originating straight
from the heart. Long time ago, when phone calls and instant messengers were as
impractical as starting life on a new planet, letters served as the bridge
between people.
From formal letters for professional purposes to informal
letters to dear ones, from romantic letters to that special someone to letters
of warnings and arguments; they were the only option to say whatever and
whenever things were supposed to be said. While the sight of pigeons carrying
letters was just an image straight out of movies or television
programs, the underlying concept that letters carried messages far and wide was
still true. With dedicated postman and efficient (or not so) postal services,
letters were the sole way to even say a simple "Hello" to someone far around the
globe.
For some of you such
memories may be crystal clear, if you used these same letters to talk to your
folks as a usual and regular task. For few others like me, the memories of
writing letters may be restricted to sessions of English class in school, followed
by a compulsory task in examinations. And for some of you, all this may sound indecipherable
as Greek, Latin, alpha, beta if you are a new age kid, born with smartphones in
hand! Whether you are a close friend of this letter or a stranger to its existence,
whether you love them as your long lost buddies or simply interacted with them
for the purpose of gaining marks, these do mean something for each one of us.
This invisible bond with
letters (though thanks to marks and examinations) has occupied a special place
in my heart. While I may have been forced to form an association with it purely
to sail through my English papers, I did find some love and affection hidden
somewhere.
And as this concept of writing letters is slowly disappearing with
every passing day, I am tempted to pay my honors in whatever way I can.
Talk about perfect
timing, after the completion of a long A-Z series, I figured why not dedicate
the next series to these forgotten heroes? Though the practice of expressing
emotions and feelings through long letters has been lost in thin air, why not
bring them into picture once again? This is why I decided to experiment with a
new series of open letters.
I use the word
experiment because blogging is about creativity and creativity is experimental
to a certain extent. Hence, while starting this new series of open letters, I
will be attempting some novel ideas along the way.
So, why do I call it
‘open letter’ series? As I shall write this letter to a new recipient every
week, I want to share my thoughts with you all. While I communicate to the particular
recipient one letter at a time, I want you to be a part of the conversation too.
I hope to get your participation and engage your enthusiastic eyes, while I
express my thoughts to the thing/individual in question. Hence, the letters
will be addressed to a common recipient every week.
If I write personal letters
to my folks, it won’t interest you at all. Why will you enjoy the act of
reading my thoughts addressed to any particular individual or relationship? That is the reason, these letters will be addressed to things or concepts or elements
that matter to each one of us. I will make an attempt to talk to common aspects
that relate to all of us, with an aim to express our ideas, plans, misunderstandings
or preconceived notions. My words may make an impact, either forcing us to
think about solutions or appreciating ourselves for the good we are doing.
Though I will
address to the recipient, I want you all to be in this journey. Stay with me as
I communicate. You may disagree with some ideas, while nod your heads on some
aspects. Either ways, do share your feedback to learn and grow together.
But, the question remains. What are these
common things or concepts or recipients? Whom am I writing to, while sharing my
thoughts on an open platform? Though I
will prefer to keep it as a surprise by bringing a new recipient every post,
the underlying thought is to write to elements such as plants, flowers, clouds,
ocean, sky, climate and everything that impacts our life. I will like to write
to fellow living things such as fishes, birds, wild animals and pets with whom
we share this planet. I hope to express my gratitude to the planet earth for
holding us in its embrace, and I will enjoy writing to elements such as fire,
water, air etc. After gratitude towards natural things, I will also like to
write to some of the materialistic necessities such as house, car, phones,
laptops and few others.
If I continue at this rate, I will end up writing this
series for years and years on end. But, don’t worry, I will not drag this to
extreme limits. As long as I can put some words in the universe and address
each of these significant partners in our journey, the purpose will be solved. Thus,
this something or someone will be universally related to each one of us, making
it a connectable idea for all.
Join me on this
unique adventure that will represent my one-way exchange of thoughts to the
world around. Starting with an open letter to our green buddies called plants,
I will be back next week to pen down letter number 1. Till then, keep reading,
smiling, loving and enjoying the surprise called life.
P.S: Given a chance, whom would you write these open letters
to? Do share your idea of recipients (I will gladly copy some of them from your
list!)

No comments:
Post a Comment