To start this post, I will need to back-up a bit. Back in
school days when English was one of the least-studied subjects and grammar was
the perfect tool to score maximum marks, the concept of ‘figures of speech’
seemed interesting. Though understanding difference between simile and metaphor
or finding the correct type meant scratching the head, it at least appeared
different. After running around in the maze of verbs, adverbs, nouns and
pronouns, figures of speech meant some serious business. More like maturity of
higher standards, I enjoyed figures of speech for their greater value and
stronger looks.
I apologize if all these memories make you sad
with your own dreaded grammar classes, but the reason to mention them is my
new-found love for one such figure of speech- ‘metaphor’. Ever since I started
penning words for pleasure, income or purpose whichever suits best as per
situation, I realized the joy of using metaphors. Instead of scoring marks and
lifting up the overall percentage, when these metaphors seemed appropriate for practical
use, I could not contain my growing interest. And while I involve them in usual
writing, I am excited to dedicate a post too.
For those of you who
were confident of scoring well in essays and ignored grammar for its boredom (I
salute you), let me help you a bit. As indirect means of comparison, metaphors
link two unrelated aspects to each other. It enables clear description of a
word/phrase by comparing it to an object/material or a well-known occurrence. And
while this helps understanding, it also serves as an interesting tool for
language. Think about any philosophical thoughts and chances are you will come
across many interesting metaphors. In fact philosophy, arts, literature and
poetry draw a lot of influence from these metaphors that make it relatable,
interesting, appealing and attractive.
When I thought about
metaphors, I felt what better way than to include those on life. After all, life
is a giant puzzle and everything revolves around it. Walk with me as I take you
through this listicle on life metaphors. These are common ones that must have
hit your ears quite often in the past. In fact I am sure you must have come across
each one of them. I present seven of the metaphors that I believe say it right.
A big bow of gratitude and honor to all those who created them because it
surely hits the target, right on point. Courtesy to the creative artists who
brought these to life.
Do feel free to add
to the list with more interesting metaphors from your end, the fun is in
knowing a bit more about the mysterious hero called life.
1.
Life is a journey
Probably the most common of all, life is
often described as a journey. After all, it does start with our birth, taking
us to different stations, destinations, places, stages and age-groups. It shows
us different realities along the way and changes quite often. No matter how
well we seem to know about our life, it keeps evolving with newer realities.
Also like a journey, the fun is to keep exploring and moving ahead. Sitting
within our comfortable station because we feel secure is incorrect, rather
experiencing and evolving is the key.
2.
Life is a roller coaster ride
Another metaphor that makes total sense,
life is nothing but an adventurous roller coaster ride. Picture the tall ride
with numerous twists going up, down and taking turns when we least expect. Isn’t
life similar to this? One moment you are going up with happiness and pleasures,
only to unexpectedly fall down. Changes in situations that lie beyond our
understanding is the real punch. Roller coaster is one such unexpected adventure
that does spell fun, frolic and enjoyment. Often we look at the ride and seem
to prepare ourselves for the twists, but unless we experience it first-hand, it
is impossible to know how it actually feels. For all those of you who proudly
(or timidly) avoid such rides in theme parks, there is no escape from the real one
called life.
3.
Life is a jigsaw puzzle
I enjoy this metaphor for bringing back
memories of childhood. Just like a jigsaw puzzle reveals the full picture only
after connecting perfect pieces into each other, our life is similar too. The
puzzle is to link our events, experiences and realities. We are often confused
with the flow of our life, not realizing that each one of these events will
reveal a wonderful picture step by step. As far as we trust the process and believe
in the final output, our inputs will definitely bring value.
4.
Life is a maze
With our share of uncertainties and
confusions, there is no other metaphor to put it more aptly. Life is indeed a
maze with confusing turns while we struggle to find our way out. Blame it on
situations that seem to make us go from one way to the other, but they also
prompt us to think, act, find alternatives and improve. The joy is in brimming
with pride when we find the right way and laughing at our silliness when we get
caught, once again!
5.
Life is a movie
I am
not sure if I have heard this somewhere or creating one on my own. But, how can
one deny this metaphor when our life delivers all possible kind of drama? There is everything in it that can be turned
into a typical movie. We have location, scenery, props, plot, actors, villains,
story, fun, laughter, emotions, mystery with occasional sad scenes and over the
top melodrama. We also seem to have surrounding music score to match our story.
While some stories are more dramatic to qualify as best-thrillers, few others
are just plain with a feel-good factor. But at the end I am sure, we all have
some twists and turns to form a good entertainer.
6.
Life is a book
Fill the pages with happiness, beliefs,
thoughts, experiences, adventures and events and what you get is a thick book
of life. The quality of this book will depend on our attitude. Whether we make
it colorful with experiences both good/bad, happy/sad or whether we keep it
plain and boring like a notebook, the choice was, is and will remain ours.
7.
Life is a river
This is one of my favorite metaphors. How often
do we hear the thoughts “Go with the flow”, “Enjoy everything and be in the
moment”,” Take it slowly and steadily”, “Wait for the right time.” All these
point to the reality that life is similar to a river. It comes across hard
rocks and hits against unexpected blocks on the way, but the joy lies in going
with the flow. It flows beautifully delivering happiness and joy, all the while
serving its purpose.


No comments:
Post a Comment