…because it is funny. This one reason should be sufficient
enough to describe my affection for comedy. But it is does not do justice to
the enormous love in my heart. For a genre that makes life happy and moments
pleasurable, comedy does a lot more than just break us into a few bouts of
laughter. It is regarded as one of the most difficult forms of performing arts
because it is challenging to make others laugh. Throw in some emotional
dialogues or show a sad stressful picture and people can cry, but state one
off-beat joke and no one laughs. Comedy genre is all about timing, meaning,
situations and purpose. It is deeply rooted in the desire to spread happiness
and joy within the otherwise usual moments of our routine life.
I can regard myself
as a strong advocate of the comedy genre. A die-hard fan who hunts for all
things funny, I am attracted towards the magic of humor. When comedy gives us a
chance to laugh, why miss the opportunity? I do not mean to disrespect other
genres or label them as unnecessary. Every form of arts on screen is
exceptionally brilliant and necessary for the audience. There are huge doses of
efforts that go behind creating a single episode, let alone an entire series. Be
it thriller or romance, satire or social drama, everything and anything is
essential to create diversity on screen. But, if I ever get the impossibly
possible opportunity to confer an award to the best genre, I will pick comedy
with closed eyes. There is something about the possibility of just being happy
that draws me towards comedy.
While I was busy expressing
my passionate love towards comedy all in the mind, an interesting thought stuck
me. Why not honor its presence in my life with a dedicated blog post? These
reasons arise straight from my heart as I thank comedy for everything it has
done and will continue doing in the future. Thus without any doubt it rules my
heart. I say screen in the title because apart from TV, the little screen on my
phone is the appropriate platform too. Be it movies or television, my mind runs
to the humorous pick whenever and wherever possible. My love for comedy started
right since childhood. While picking a good program for the limited TV time in
the evening, when my parents preferred comedy over other serious drama, I was
glued to the laughter that followed. It forces one to forget the usual tensions
of life for some mindless moments, no matter how short. If we cannot avoid the
drama in our real plot, why pick the same on TV too? Why not dedicate some
moments to humorous stories, when our own story is not so funny otherwise?
Comedy is often
regarded as a mindless genre. But if you think about the efforts behind it, it
engages more mind than any other. Crafting jokes that click is the most
difficult task. I detest comedy at the expense of offending others. Pure humor
arises from the boldness to laugh at one’s own mistakes and blunders.
Another major
misconception about comedy points towards its silliness. It is regarded as a
genre for the weak-hearted. People who refuse to accept the realities of life
dive into the mindlessness of humor. It does not teach anything or is rather
useless for the lack of a better word. But, I am yet to learn anything from the
dark sides of thriller or so-called drama of a usual plot. If there are limited
screen slots in my schedule, I rather laugh over some jokes than ponder about
mind games of someone else.
Comedy shows such as
Frasier, The Office, Parks and recreation, Friends, and Hindi ones such as Taarak
Mehta ka Ooltah Chasmah, Hum Paanch, Shriman Shrimati, and many others have
pulled me into their charm, making me pen a long post in their honor.
Having said this, I
do not intend to demean any genre. Read it with a pinch of salt as I enlist my
top 11 reasons with a smile. Laugh over the lighter notes and see if you can correlate.
And never mind if you cannot, I welcome a diametrically opposite argument,
after all we are products of our opinions!
I love comedy shows because….
1.
They show blunders of life are funny, common,
usual and easy to deal with if we change the perspective. Humor arises when we
accept our shortcomings and learn to loosen a bit.
2.
They force everyone to quit serious procrastination,
heavy contemplation and unwanted complications. Stay happy for the moment that
will compile into episodes of happiness.
3.
They make you realize laughter is the medicine
to heal wounded mood. When life is full of otherwise hurdles, why not swim into
the pool of laughter?
4.
The genre screams about the significance of
simplicity. We make life overly complicated. And agreed, it cannot erase our
troubles, but at least not add to the burden.
5.
They wipe off alien feelings in a new land and
connect everyone on the same platform. Comedy succeeds in erasing home-sickness
or boredom in an unknown place.
6.
They connect everyone on the universal mission
of laughter. Though we may differ in our choices of favorite genres, we can be
connected by comedy because everyone loves (and hopefully knows) to laugh.
7.
Comedy opens the mind to positivity. It is composed
of jokes and humor that make it easier to approach things with a broader outlook.
8.
They pose as a foolproof mode of confirmed
entertainment. Though some comedy shows fail horribly with poor-timed jokes and
offensive content that irritate more than make you laugh, most of them do a
perfect job.
9.
They remind you to stop worrying and start
acting. Since problems cannot be dealt through over-thinking, they force you to
be present in the moment and enjoy the show. If you miss a dialogue in some
usual drama, you can still get the show, but if you miss a joke, you lose the
punch!
10.
Comedy is the only thing that can make you
laugh, it is capable of demanding laughter and smiles. No matter how serious
your face appears most of the times, comedy can transform it within a minute.
11.
The genre tickles an otherwise serious mind. Our
mind can be stern often, reminding us of everything that is wrong and unfair.
Comedy has the power to take it towards simpler realities.
As I read the post,
I realize it has turned into a love letter for comedy. But that is exactly how
I feel. I love you for bringing big smiles, I love you for all the episodes of
laughter, I love you for making me sane in an otherwise insane world, and comforting
me that life is beautiful indeed.
A loyal fan to all
shows comic, this funny soul will continue finding more and more reasons to
laugh, love and smile.
What genre rules your heart? Does comedy ring a bell or is it something else- do think and share!

Great post ma'am!! !Even i feel Comedy has the potential to heal and potential of Catharsis!
ReplyDeleteOne of the purest art forms and most difficult!!
Glad you liked it! Thank you so much :) Happy laughing
Delete