Thursday, February 22, 2018

R: Read, Read, Read, Repeat




  Reading is essential for writing. Hence, no wonder when I stepped into the world of writing, I knew reading will form a significant part of my work.

 My relationship with reading goes way into the past, much before this line of task. As a child, I enjoyed reading books, newspapers, and everything I could lay my hands on. And though reading is important for my work today, I do not like to associate it with that aspect in any way. Because work is work at the end of the day. No matter how much we love our work, it still seems a ‘job’ at the end of it all. So, in order to protect my love for reading, I keep it away from the burden of roles and responsibilities. As long as I enjoy it as my hobby and interest, I look forward to the sense of satisfaction it delivers.

Why this sudden expression of love and affection for a simple task like reading?

Why a post demonstrating my obvious feeling towards reading,you ask? 

  Recent experiences with some amazing books have paved way for this thought. And, when the next letter in series was ‘R’, I realized what better way to show my respects than writing about reading? Before it gets confusing for you to read, let me dive straight into the pool. Writing about the love for reading is like stating an obvious fact “These roses are so pretty” or “The sky is so beautiful and clear”; we all know it, but still find it tempting to say it, just one more time.

  Though I enjoy reading both fiction and non-fiction, a new form of writing has grabbed my attention lately. After reading five volumes of ‘Best American Travel writing’ and few more books (‘Lost on Planet China by J.Maarten Troost’, ‘360 degrees longitude by John Higham’, ‘Better than fiction: true travel tales from great fiction writers’), I am attracted towards this unique, yet happening form of travel writing. Expressing thoughts about a trip, coupled with the real time experiences of a particular place form the essence of this genre. As the writer narrates every single aspect of his/her travel, it seems so engaging along the way. Good travel writers are those who can actually transport you to that spot, taking you right in the middle of their experiences.

  Rather than a glossy picture of a fictional kind, travel writing has to be an honest account of everything that the writer has experienced. Good, bad, happy, awkward, interesting or boring- every aspect of the trip has to be captured in order to keep it real. Many of the travel writing books and articles succeed in describing the place, brick to brick. From the nature to environment, buildings to houses, and people to culture – only an excellent form of travel writing can say it all, leaving nothing to imagination.

  Though travel writing is just a representation of what the person has experienced, it is quite challenging to play with appropriate words and describe it in the same manner. And while the traveler has enjoyed the destination in its purest form, it only irritates the writer hidden within, if he/she cannot do justice to the amazing wonders seen by the naked eye.

  Reading travel books does not substitute your own trip to the destination. In no way do I intend to propose that reading about exotic locations around the world can replace the need to be there in person (Dearest husband- please take note). The joy of travel writing resides in the colorful experiences painted by the writer. Background thoughts about the new place, culture, lifestyle and tourist attractions form an interesting experience, while you read comfortably from your couch.

  A look into the history:

  Travel writing dates back to the early 1800s, when travelers have narrated their experiences, voyaging all around the globe. Most of the travel writing includes memoirs, autobiographies and stories describing the destination. Travel writing was extremely popular during the good, old years when the modes of transportation were limited. Common man had to rely on the travel literature to get a sneak-peek of what lies beyond the border.

  After the advent of print media, there were numerous books and magazines describing the glorious trips of great travelers. The picture is entirely different today. With ease of global connectivity, we can travel often and craft our own stories. Thanks to social media, we do not need to wait for long. Instant pictures, videos and blogs can deliver the experience, straight from the source within matter of few minutes and virtue of a strong network (read: Wi-Fi). But, the reader in me does not find satisfaction in this form. Call me old school or a lost dreamer, I still enjoy the happiness delivered by books. Though you can reach any destination within matter of few clicks, it does not equate to reading a colorful narration by a talented writer.

A fictional touch to non-fiction:

    Travel writing does not limit to 3-D description, presented in a 2-D form.  Be it physical books or online versions, travel stories succeed only when they touch the associated feelings and emotions. Just a dry description of land and roads does not interest me as much as the story hidden within.

   I am guilty of being a demanding reader, but for me a good travel journal goes way beyond a plain guide book. Unless a travel article does not take me to that particular place, forcing me to imagine the surroundings purely on the basis of its words; I cannot see myself enjoying it at all. No wonder I find it difficult to take up that challenge myself. It takes a lot more than just good choice of words. Every single word has to come to life to make the travel article as enjoyable as the real experience itself.

   Besides travel writing, I am also inclined towards short fiction stories. Short notes that leave you spell-bound, I am amazed by the ability of such fiction writers (e.g. The O. Henry Prize stories). Within a short time frame - the talent of developing characters, plot, story and the end is beyond imagination. Stories cannot be successful until they instill that ‘Aha’ moment in the readers. And it is this experience that stays with the reader, even after the last page is turned to close it forever.

   Reading transports me to a different world, longing me to stay a little longer; while admiring the imperfectness of a perfect world created by the writer. No matter what genre you enjoy or pick or prefer, find happiness in reading. It has the power to enlighten good thoughts and feelings applicable to the real world. Knowledge gained during reading turns us into a practical person while living, the ultimate goal of our life, right?

   ‘Read, read, read, repeat’ is my mantra to a sane mind in an insane world or the other way round, an insane mind in a sane set-up. Whichever thought you agree to, share some of your favorite books/genres/styles in the feedback. Let us read together to lead together (I know this sentence made no sense, but how could I say no to that rhyming effect?)


No comments:

Post a Comment