Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Cancer myths (because someone had to say it!)


       Talking about my heroes in the previous posts was truly an enjoyable experience as it brought me closer to their affection. I hope my readers enjoyed those humor filled punches as much as I did, while I wrapped it within my choice of words. This brings us to yet another post that is close to my heart. But does that mean ‘C’ is the only thing I shall write about from here on? Or the sensitivity of the issue makes it an exciting topic to write about? If these questions correspond with the thoughts in your mind, let me clarify my views right away. No, cancer is not the only thing I shall write on. With this post I will terminate the ‘C’ series and move on to other topics in the future.

      Coming back to the title, what are cancer myths or why should one talk about them? ‘Cancer’ is a dreaded condition that we all fear to think about. Just like everyone else, I was numerous steps away from anything to do with cancer. Apart from reading and studying about it as part of our routine curriculum, there was no reason to look at any other aspect. Hence, when life chose to give me a practical session of it, I thought about ways to share my experiences with others. 

    They say when life throws lemons at you, you can always make a refreshing lemonade. And while you can gulp down that entire lemonade yourself, you can even share it with others. An up, close and personal experience with this ‘C’ made me realize that there are numerous myths and misconceptions about the condition. Yes, it does trouble the body and mind to a certain extent, but it is not something that stops you from ‘being alive’. Till we refuse to look at it as a life-threatening disability, we cannot think beyond it in any way.

DISCLAIMER:

1.       This post is truly my own personal experience that does not represent other cancer survivors in any way.
2.       These are my opinions that may contradict with your beliefs either completely or partially. Kindly take it with a pinch of salt.
3.       Again, the myths that I have shared are ‘myths’ as per my opinion. You may not hold the same misconception or you may not consider it to be a myth.
4.       It does not represent any opinion from the medical fraternity.

   Already bored with the long disclaimer? Don’t worry. I do not intend to write a serious and emotional story about my journey. The only aim of this write-up is to contribute my opinions as they originate from a first-hand experience. I do not want to force my readers into thinking about cancer, but I believe if I am able to spread a positive message from my journey, it can definitely benefit someone, somewhere. Experiences are bits of knowledge coated with reality and hence I want to make use of them to help others either directly or indirectly. If it is able to inspire even one cancer-fighter or caregiver anywhere around the world, I shall be delighted.


1.     Myth: Cancer is a death sentence
Reality: It is a life statement

             Cancer is often regarded as a death sentence, while I beg to differ. In fact cancer is what has taught me to live. It has shown me the value of life, forcing me to live each moment fully. Without thinking about past or future, it has truly pushed me to live one day at a time with open arms. Today, I definitely savor whatever comes my way with more enthusiasm. 

      To put in simple words, it is acting as an amplifier. More feelings, more determination, more hard work, more happiness, more energy and more of everything. I was busy taking life for granted and hence this cancer has shown me the right way. I can definitely say I am living more each day than what I was before. And if you think it is too philosophical to be true, you are definitely mistaken. There is something about ‘snatching’ mentality. If you know, someone will snatch or take away something from you, you tend to hold it tight and take care of it even more.


2.       Myth: This and that must have caused cancer
Reality: There is no way to find the reason

   It is easy to sit and play the blame game. Once cancer is diagnosed, the blame can be put on anything and everything that one deals with. Food, lifestyle, career, behavior, thoughts, clothes, life choices – there is so much to spot and point. But the reality is there is no fixed way to find the root cause. While it is always beneficial to adopt a healthy lifestyle, it is not possible to pick one reason and regret. Hence, I refuse to entertain any sort of blame game or theories as none of those are true.


3.     Myth: Treatment is painful, full of medicines and makes life difficult
Reality: It is manageable with a strong support system, determination and trust

     It is definitely complex with lot of things to take care of. But that is why a good team of doctor, nurses, family and friends make everything easy. Just like any other trouble, medicines work if taken with trust and positive thought. Pain does make one weak, but it also gives ways to come out of it. After all life is what we make of it.


4.      Myth: Person turns into a patient and prisoner
Reality: Person remains what he wants to be

   Yes, it is essential to take care of health with greater care towards nutrition and rest. But it does not turn one into a bed-ridden patient or a prisoner confined within the walls of a house. It is equally possible to travel, shop, have outside food, work as before and live like any other human being.


5.      Myth: It is a matter of bad luck
Reality: It is just a matter of time

Everything pertaining to luck comes under the radar - from zodiac sign to stars, vibes of the house to style of living, everything is questioned and believed to be at fault. But I strongly believe one cannot do much about things that are not under one’s control. Rather than hunting for the cause of problem, it is essential to work on the solution. Sympathy and pity about bad luck will not change it in any way.


6.       Myth: Life is uncertain, transformed and fearful. ‘Sacrifice’ and ‘compromise’ become the middle name

Reality: This logic pertains to all

     Uncertainty of life applies to all. Situations and circumstances are unknown to each one of us, hence it is nothing different. There are several confusing choices, sacrifices or compromises to be made in future, but again that holds true for any individual. It is true that cancer does not promise anything good, but when did ‘non-cancer’ status guarantee anything great! By saying this, I do not intend to spread negativity or fear in any usual course of life, but I definitely intend to take away the ‘negative’ tag linked to cancer.
 
   Having said this, I will definitely say make healthy choices for a happy life, but do not stress yourself with what is good or bad. If one day some reports say tea or coffee is good for health, the other day it is declared bad, if one day cereals are said to be good, some other day you will find those same cereals are harmful.  If gym and yoga are good, so is simple walking or jogging. Nothing is perfect but everything is beneficial. There is no equation that guarantees a prosperous and happy life. It is up to you to figure out what works for your system. Enjoy every moment with happiness, stay positive, live life fully, seek opportunities, laugh more and live more. Make yourself happy, others will find ways to make themselves happy. Take it one day a time that is how it is meant to be.



P.S: If even for once in life, you wanted to do something for a cancer-fighter or survivor, now is the time. Share this blog among your network and let us spread some inspiration. I am definitely not someone great to preach things to others, but I am positive to make a little difference. It may help someone with their fight, and that will eventually help mine!


  

10 comments:

  1. Great thought. So proud of you tai. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspirational. Everyone shd live the life like that because uncertainty of life is same for all. हर पल यहाँ, जी भर जिओ।

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspirational. Everyone shd live the life like that because uncertainty of life is same for all. हर पल यहाँ, जी भर जिओ।

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Amruta.... Make healthy choices for a happy life, but do not stress yourself with what is good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you uncle. And this coming from a doctor truly makes me so happy :)

      Delete
    2. amruta very inspiring blog , because of
      jayshri i started reading your blogs

      Delete
    3. amruta very inspiring blog , because of
      jayshri i started reading your blogs

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much :) Extremely glad for your comment :)

      Delete