Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Meet my heroes

    
     This next blog topic will be a series of posts featuring my heroes. I am sure you must be wondering what all will go into the list? Am I talking about heroes on screen who entertain us with their performances or some real-life angels who inspire us with their deeds? The answer to both these questions is in the negative. My heroes are members of my support system.

      People who are standing by me like solid rocks, while I am punching the lymphoma monster one cycle after the other. These strong pillars have refused to accept any defeat and ooze out positive essence like flowing river. All they know is one can never give up. Hence their urge towards normalcy makes this entire episode as just another phase of life. So much is the inclination towards usual life that their arguments, fights and shouting have not changed too. While I thought this ‘damsel in distress’ status will give me some hidden advantages, I was absolutely wrong. Each of my heroes have refused to treat me any differently, forcing me to be back on track as soon as possible.

   One single post will not do justice to all those who have been a part of this journey. Hence I shall feature one hero every passing week. Again the aim is not to garner sympathy or demand special attention from my readers. The purpose is to thank and celebrate their presence in my life. You do not know what you have till life throws some unexpected situations your way. I am sure none of these closed ones would expect such appreciation in the open, but then again it is my unique way to reach out to their love and care all this while. And while you are sending your wishes my way, kindly sprinkle some love on these heroes too. They are absolutely special in every way.

 In no particular order, this series will talk about my people. I shall refrain from using their real names, yet their relationship will speak for itself. My initial plan was to enlist them in this post, but I feel we all can use a little surprise. Stay tuned with me as I reveal one hero after the other.

   If you are expecting a boring thank you speech or long description of every person, let me correct you before it starts. My idea is to use some humor and spice it up as we move post to post.

  While I would have loved to start this series with my super-hero parents who gave me this gift of life, it will be too difficult to do so at this point of time. After a supportive stay of three months as they shall be traveling back to their pavilion in a few days, it will be easier to talk about them after they leave. So, let me start with my local superhero hubby Mr. N.

    There is no doubt in the fact that it is extremely difficult to appreciate your spouse openly. So before I start my words, I should congratulate myself for such a big heart! On a serious note, we often take our people for granted hence taking my hubby for granted was nothing unusual. It is only after my doctor appreciated his care when I realized that he deserves few good words.

  Call him Mr. Foodie-partner-in-crime, Mr. Know it all, Mr. 30 running on 90, Mr. Doctor in disguise or Mr. Alice in wonderland, this super-hero is my pillar of support. A strong headed person who believes everything happens for a reason, he seems to know everything. While struggling with the news or working towards the solution, all his energy was focused towards the theme ‘normalcy’. So much so that our usual husband wife nagging did not stop even for a single day. His desire to take our life just as before ensures that nothing can come in the way.

   Though our arguments are just like before, I do have an added advantage to swiftly play the ‘C’ card as and when needed. Depending on the situation, as his reactions turn from sympathy to pity or irritation to consideration, the outcome is totally worth it.
  
   If there is one thing about him that has truly helped me all this while is his ‘love’ for food. With his love for recipes, ingredients, perfection, taste and varieties, I was excited for the ‘dinner’ part of course. Though it would have helped if he actually prepared these dishes for me, his suggestions and ideas did the trick. And the habit of taking ‘Master Chef’ credit at the end kept things the way they were. Never did I get the benefit of false praises though I would have loved to. As he refuses to display any amount of sympathy or pity, I am grateful to be just the same. Though I must admit, I am still recovering from the shock that my 'Pav Bhaji' was the best he has had so far. 
  
    From his efforts to growing plants in our pots to growing hair on my scalp, my scientist is working on everything, thanks to the freely available knowledge on the internet. Whether it gives any results is a ‘wait and watch’ job, (when I last checked, we are expecting honey dew melons, coriander, saffron and cherries all in the same pot) but his ideas and thoughts are truly entertaining. Forcing one spoonful of Chawanprash right in the middle of a video session with my little nephew is his style of turning into a ‘useful’ husband.

      Preference to choose restaurants, cuisines, hang out options and movies are some of the hidden advantages at present as I get to command like a queen. After all there is a reason why the thought ‘Make hay while the sun shines’ was born.

     Another hilarious experience worth sharing is the rendezvous between my doctor and hubby-the great. Ignoring me, while Mr. N manages to grab the spotlight upon himself, their talks about travel, food, medicine or anything under the sun always dominate our sessions. As I sit quietly without any attention as desired, I cannot help but thank my stars for a funny husband like mine. Normalizing every situation and being positive is his way of dealing with the stress, while he waits for an opportunity to laugh at me or laugh with me. Either way it works for me to be next to a hero. You know you have to be normal and back in pink of health to express anger when husband says “How does this t-shirt look on me?” or “Do these shoes suit me?” right while I am dealing with post chemo trouble. Leaving my irritation aside, I wonder why does his fashion status demand so much attention all of a sudden. 

    This weird, funny, unusual yet usually expected behavior is what I want from Mr. N as we walk along the path.
  Stay tuned for the next heroes as the list is long.

P.S: If you want to be featured as a hero too, positions are open! Give me some Maggie noodles, carbonated beverages and coffee (as these are banned under Mr. N's jurisdiction) and I am all yours ;) I surely know how to make hay while the sun shines.



  

2 comments: