Thursday, January 17, 2019

Old-school habits die hard



    I do not intend to sound old while I frame this post, but all the buzz of New Year and new beginnings has tempted me to think over old and new. Days and years pass by, bringing new techniques over the obsolete past. For example, who had imagined an ‘all in one’ smartphone will start to rule our lives in every possible way. From being our traditional phone for communication to being our camera for those much needed selfies, from providing a calendar to notepad, calculator to diary, entertainment screen to encyclopedia, it has invaded many aspects to dominate over every role. Amidst the smartness of this intimidating smartphone, it is difficult to stay true to our roots. And smartphones are not alone in plotting these monopolies, they are joined by e-books, tablets, netbooks and numerous other interesting gadgets whose sole aim is absolute dependency. 

   Having said this, I do enjoy the convenience of their smartness. The innovative solutions offered by technological conveniences only make it easy for us to march ahead. Yet, there is a little old-school self in me who refuses to quit some of the old habits. No matter how convenient, time-saving and easy it is to swipe a gadget and accomplish few tasks, I still prefer the old-school style for those actions.

  While following these actions in daily routine, I was tempted to write a little something about them to celebrate their continuity. Call it being true to ‘tried and tested’ formulas or finding contentment in preserving tradition, the underlying essence of old habits is to do something you love for the joy of simplicity. There is nothing wrong in adopting new style or rather it is absolutely correct to try out new trends for progress. But there is some magic in preserving few old techniques. If one can balance the innovative essence of future with a little charm of good, old past- the resulting outcome is nothing but a ‘joyous and happy present’.  

 Stay with me as I take you over some of my old school habits with a big smile. Shout out a big ‘yes’ if it resonates with you too or write back your disagreement if it seems too outdated for your taste. In either case, I will learn how old are my old-school habits, anyway?


1.       Can’t bid good-bye to my dear notebook



 I may not be writing a lot in my notebook, thanks to the digital notebook right in front of my eyes at this moment, I still maintain a physical book for my happiness. With dependence over laptop, the purpose of this physical notebook is more sentimental than practical, but I still need it. This notebook is like a trusted go-to friend in any and every situation. And though I may hardly use it for practical purposes, all the valuable scribbling enters right into without any second doubts. It gives me the feeling of preserving my thoughts because I seem to trust physical words over the virtual ones on screen. Or it may just be an unreasonable old me who thinks writing in a book is more real than typing on screen. Whatever be the reason, I cannot bid good-bye to my dear notebook. It is my companion since three years now. In light of the need to avoid paper wastage, I do not use the pages often, but its presence is comforting.


2.       Dear physical calendar - smiling on the wall

I strongly believe this post will turn embarrassing by the time I type the last word, but again happy to admit. Though that tiny, little, cute calendar on my phone is doing an incredible job, it cannot replace the physical calendar on the wall. And I don’t print it out just to keep a copy, but if luck shines bright every year, I manage to get one and it reaches the same dedicated spot. I realize the trend of physical calendars will stop soon, in that case I will be happy with the memories.


3.       Whiteboard -where reminders get real!

Nothing says “Urgent, need attention” like the words scribbled over our whiteboard on the refrigerator. No matter how many reminders are neatly noted on my phone, only the ones on the whiteboard make it to the finish line. It does the same job like the typed ones, in fact the convenience of reminders on the go is much useful than the physical board at home, yet there is lot of seriousness when you read “RENT/BILL or GET MILK” on the board over the automated reminders over emails.


4.       Touch books- touch knowledge


This little incident can be recorded in world history as the most unbelievable reality but I actually refused an anniversary gift from dear husband! I must be one of the rarest women to do so, but I happily rejected an e-book reader to preserve the affectionate love for physical books. Though I don’t buy books and only borrow them from the library, I cannot agree to the concept of e-book readers just yet. I am sure I will have to change the outlook for easier, convenient and possibly the only means of reading in the future, but till then I am not willing to part away from words that stand true on pages.

5.       The serious sight of the pen stand

The fact that pens are hardly used today is a sad reality for our present and future. But it is also good to avoid excessive usage of paper, wastage of trees and unnecessary documentation that can be recorded virtually. Hence I am totally on-board to reduce usage of paper except that one notebook with me since three years. But talking of the pen stand whose sight makes me feel serious and responsible, I am happy to place it on my table. It holds pens that are years and years old and received as gifts, but their being there is just comforting to the old-school mind. It feels as if you are excited to meet new people and build new friendships, but not without the support of your dear old buddies.

Things like these need sentimental point of view over practicality. Though I am happy about the old school habits, I realize the need to keep upgrading myself in order to adapt to the circumstances. Yet, you can always preserve some habits of your old- school self as a souvenir to your beautiful memories.

What do you think- should you follow some of the old habits just for your mind or should you walk away from these sentiments for a much practical outlook?




2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog! Even I am a typical old school kind of person. I have a pen and notebook in every corner of my home. I believe and rely on pen n paper completely despite being part of this digital world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad to meet a fellow old-school-er. Makes me feel less outdated now ;)

      Delete