Friday, July 13, 2018

Open letter - 10 (Myself)


    

   As the addressee of this letter is quite unusual, I am starting with a quick note to the readers- Yes, it is addressed to myself in the second person and no, it is not weird or crazy. My intention of writing to myself was to address everything I feel, think, analyze, judge about me as a person yet refuse to acknowledge it since it is not something we do often. As humans, we are programmed to hold opinions about others, but fail to confront ourselves or talk to our self in the second person (or maybe, it is something others do and I don’t, hence I was excited with the idea as soon as it sprouted). 

   In short, this open letter is designed to talk to the individual named ‘myself’, referring it with the word ‘you’. Cutting the confusion- in simple words, I am writing to myself. I am holding ‘myself’ as a different person – appreciating her for the good things, suggesting improvements, analyzing her weirdness and finally celebrating her presence in this exciting maze of life.

  Though it is addressed to myself, I believe some of the thoughts may resonate with your feelings too. Somewhere or sometimes we all tend to think the same about ourselves, while enjoying the opportunity of being human. Shout out a ‘yes’ if you agree or give a thumbs down if you don’t, but do take it with a pinch of salt. Sarcasm and humor are purely intentional, hence leave the judgement glasses aside!

  Now, to the loveliest person who means the world…… (Narcissism is intentional too, after all it is an excellent side effect of writing to myself!)
    
                                                                            
Dear Myself,

   This is probably the first time I am writing to you. Though there is so much I would like to tell you, I did not feel the need to pen it down. But that is when it turned into ‘taking you for granted’, hence I picked the opportunity to write a long letter to the self who means so much. While I will focus on talking to you in general, pardon me if it turns into a self-help lecture. You are the core of my life, hence loving you is the first step towards loving others. Unless I am comfortable, loving, caring and responsible towards you, those feelings cannot reflect on the universe. They say loving yourself can turn selfish, but that is the most commonly held misconception. In fact, it is the best way to share happiness to those around. Only when I started appreciating your presence, I realized life is so much better while sharing it with others too.

  You are nothing less than a surprise package to me. At times, you seem predictable with expected behavior and seem to walk on the road most taken that definitely leads to the destination. But most of the times, you enjoy going off track and trying something different. Your need to find a purpose, desire to make yourself happy and belief in yourself inspires me. It serves as the single most essential purpose of living that ensures unlimited happiness and joy to everyone around. You do not settle down to what others think is perfect. You know it well, perfect and ideal are nothing but fictional concepts. Hence the desire to do what your heart says drives you to happiness. You have shown its power. Success, settled life, expected milestones are necessary, but above all, your emphasis on a pure heart and happy mind tends to open my eyes.

   Why do you keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again? Agreed, you fall into the temptation of being yourself all the time, but it is not wise to repeat your errors. Stay away from things that don’t appeal to you. Refrain from getting angry when you realize it’s harmful and swallow that ego. You know it causes more harm than good, but something about not wanting to helpful yourself! At the end, practice what you preach, there is no better way to live life than by staying true to your words.

  I enjoy when you appreciate and accept everything. Good days are not the right days to measure your attitude. Successful and sunny days bring out the best in people, quite naturally. But what is necessary is the ability to smile when disappointed. Of course, I don’t expect a bigger smile on those days, but at least the capacity to accept the bad too.

 I like it when you make mistakes and learn from them. That is the best foolproof method to ensure guaranteed stability. I also admire your desire to experiment, fail, make an attempt once again and then achieve something at the end. Take it as a cautionary warning from your closest well-wisher- do not fall into the trap of pleasing people. You were never designed to act as a puppet. Everyone has a different opinion on how you should live your life, hence it is practically impossible to appeal to even 10%, let alone all of them. You know this well, yet fail to understand or simply choose to ignore.

  Do not forget where you come from. Your past experiences are lessons for the future. Take advice from everyone, listen to their experiences, seek guidance but make your own choice. You are the best judge to your situation hence you may not be entirely wrong. And what is with blaming everything around you. It is easy to transfer your faults- everything and everyone can be held responsible for your life. But is it right? Not at all. It is your story and journey, all the other members are simply passengers, willing to enjoy the trip with you. As a driver behind the steering wheel, take charge or rather hold it well before it is too late.

  And stop being in your head all the time. Do not take yourself so seriously to a point where you assume the world revolves around you. People do not have time to care about your looks, personality, clothes and assets. As long as you are presentable (which I sincerely hope you are, considering the well-known lack of your fashion sense!), it is okay to just be yourself. There are more pressing issues in the world than the unknown local brand of your bag or style of your clothes. Also, do not think so much- research has shown your excessive overthinking is absolutely baseless, pointless, and useless- need I say more?

 But above everything, you are awesome. Agreed, you are confused, scared, funny, irritating, naughty and fun-loving, yet amazing in your own way. Stay so forever because life is an opportunity, and not everyone gets a second chance...(you know it better) 

 And finally, if I haven't told you already or was too shy to actually say it - I LOVE YOU! Writing it down was not so difficult, after all. 



Yours lovingly,
A lifelong partner to your stupidity



P. S: This is my last letter in the open letter series. I enjoyed writing these open letters as a fun way to speak what’s in my mind. Hope you enjoyed walking inside the maze of my thoughts and did not get lost in it like I always tend to. Till I return again with the next off-beat idea- happy reading, happy living and the most important of all- happy ‘being yourself’!

No comments:

Post a Comment