Monday, August 7, 2017

…because haste may lead to waste

 

    At the beginning of this post, I want to start by admitting that it is difficult to praise your spouse openly. And if the age gap is just one year with enhanced essence of friendship, it becomes more difficult. Yet, I will be doing just the opposite and making a sincere attempt to talk good about my better-half. But, why this sudden appreciation and affection? Well, because the topic of this post is completely inspired by my husband’s approach in life. For a person who believes in performing every task with patience, silence, dedication and determination, this title is borrowed from his diary of thoughts.

  So much is his insistence towards a calm and detailed approach that it even reflects in his long bathing sessions. But I will save that piece of humor for some other post in future, when I am tempted to dig into some fun. Coming back to the title, I always believed in performing all my tasks at a fast pace to accomplish more within a day. For me it was more about quantity than quality. And I must admit this approach may tend to change the overall prospective towards life. In the race to do more, I was tempted to finish a task without looking at the end result or the manner of work. Haste to do a job may often lead to a waste product as the focus is more towards getting something at the end - somehow or anyhow.

    Rather, if we learn to enjoy the process and concentrate on it with complete attention, we can definitely obtain happiness. My transition towards a non-haste approach was not an overnight process. I had my share of arguments where I insisted about the lack of time or more activities in the plate. But that is when I realized, it is not about how much time we dedicate to each task but about what approach we adopt for that little duration. Hasty approach forces us to compromise on the end product, making it a default style forever.

    This unknowingly turns into a habit that reflects over our attitude. I am always amazed at my husband’s dedication towards his work. Be it simple act like watering the plants or doing the dishes, his approach bends towards soaking himself completely into the experience. My inclination tends to fall over multi-tasking, while his style is towards one single task at a time. In today’s fast pace world, it may not be possible to adopt a slow and detailed attitude, but I am learning the art of adding more value to that short slot of time. 

    Enjoy every task with devotion and you shall be amazed at the experience. It is good to work fast and meet all the deadlines, but it is equally good to find a balance and enjoy it. Anyways you have to dedicate your time for a task, why not devote that with more attention. Enjoy every act with a smile is my take-away message from my husband’s experience.

    Another relevant aspect in today’s world is easy distraction. With more usage of social media apps, websites, smart phones and easy access to virtual connectivity, one can easily get distracted in the process. And I must admit that I am no different. This makes it essential to draw a line as per our requirement. It is another quality that I am learning from my husband to curb my fear of missing out. Less haste, more patience is my new ‘mantra’ to enjoy a better output. The aim is not to run behind more success but to walk towards more happiness.

  All this definitely sounds good when we read or write it in a philosophical mode. But, how much of it is actually possible? In order to convert it from an imaginary thought to a practical project, I am listing some of my ideas. Do add in your thoughts in the comment section. You may agree or disagree with the idea, but do share your views. Either ways, your approach will inspire a new chain of thoughts.

1.       Focus on one task at a time. Multi-task in case of time crunch, but avoid such a situation with proper planning.

2.       Time your tasks and work within the set time frame. Improvise after numerous attempts and make a customized schedule for yourself.

3.       Keep distractions away or refuse to entertain them. If you lack self-control, you can keep your phone at a physical distance to avoid temptation.

4.       Make an attempt to extract happiness from a task. This can force you to concentrate.

5.       Learn to cut stray thoughts from your mind. The habit of running into an imaginary world or walking into a dream land at the next possible opportunity can lead to wastage of time.

6.       Attitude of finishing off a task in haste to enjoy more of free time can lead to compromise in quality, rather assign yourself some free-time or me-time and enjoy it only within that slot.

7.       It is practically impossible to follow your schedule minute by minute or hour by hour, but you can always work in that direction to achieve at least some percentage of that goal.

8.       Cut thoughts of past and future. This will force you to enjoy present with full concentration.

9.       Compete with yourself to gauge your improvement. But do not compete with others while performing your tasks. Customization is the key to ensure happiness.

10.   Do not consider any task as insignificant, unnecessary or small. You may spoil the experience with your preconceived notions. After all, it is essential and hence you are doing it.

11.   It is natural to feel lazy some days. Also some tasks may seem more enjoyable than others. Find ways to make boring job interesting. Listen to music for boring chores or hunt for some temptation to continue it.


I am working on this patient approach to get more out of life. Do share your beliefs and let us inspire each other.


P.S: Dear Husband – I definitely deserve something in return for such an open appreciation. Trust me, it was not easy at all! 



No comments:

Post a Comment